10 little-known facts about cats
The fact that cats along with dogs are one of the most popular pets is a generally accepted fact. Have you ever wondered how much we know about these creatures? We are talking not only about the habits of cats, about health or behavior, but also about interesting historical episodes from their lives. And today – 10 little-known facts that will make you look at your cat from a different angle.
1. Initially, it was believed that for the first time cats were domesticated in Egypt, where they were elevated to the rank of deities. This was evidenced by the numerous images and statues of cats in collars. But everything turned upside down the find of French archaeologists. In 2004, a burial was discovered in Cyprus, in which were the remains of a young man and a cat. Since no traces of ancient cats were found on the island, scientists concluded that it was the domestic cat that was brought from the continent. It is noteworthy that this burial was 4-5 millennia older than the Egyptian frescoes! Thus, cats have been living in our homes for almost 10 thousand years.
2. From the previous fact it is clear that cats began to conquer the open spaces with people for a very long time. And this tradition continues to this day. Moreover, there is an opinion that this was reflected in the cats themselves in the form of a mutation – polydactyly, the presence of extra fingers. Say, this helped the animals to maintain balance on board the ship. It was these cats that sailors appreciated for another quality – they were reputed to be excellent rat-catchers. And also brought good luck. Like it or not, but there is a fact – more than 10% of cats in coastal cities have a distinctive sign in the form of “extra” fingers.
3. Initially, cats appeared in our homes as protection against rodents. But there are two representatives of this family who, for outstanding services in this matter, were awarded official state ranks. This is a cat, now living in the residence of British Prime Minister Larry and his predecessor Humphrey. And this title sounds like the Chief Mousetrap.
4. Contrary to public opinion, cats are unable to see in total darkness. In addition, large eyes poorly “switch” the focus between distant and close objects. And therefore, the vision of animals adjusts to her place of residence. So stray cats are mostly far-sighted, while domestic cats are short-sighted.
5. A person cannot compete with the phenomenal eyesight, hearing and sense of smell of cats, but there is one quality where we are the first. And that taste. According to various sources, cats have about 500 taste buds, compared to our 9 thousand. And yes, cats don’t feel sweet. At all.
6. According to statistics, there are many more domestic cats in the world than dogs or other animals. Apparently this is due to the fact that, biologically, the brain of cats is closer to the human than the brain of any other pet. For example, the same brain regions are responsible for emotions in cats and humans.
7. Dogs are considered to be more sociable and talkative than cats. But at the same time, the “repertoire” of cats has about 100 different sounds, and dogs are limited to 10.
8. Cats do not like water, some are afraid and hate – this is a universally recognized fact. But in the world there are several breeds of cats that just love to swim! For example, a Turkish van.
9. There is such a thing as a winged cat in the world. You can read more about this interesting phenomenon on our website here.
10. A state of obsessive fear of something is called a phobia. More than 500 types of phobias are known that affect millions of people. So the panic fear of cats is called aylurophobia. According to some evidence, Napoleon, Macedonian, Genghis Khan, Caesar, Mussolini suffered from it.
And finally – there is a legend according to which the door for cats in the front door was invented by Isaac Newton. So this is really nothing more than a legend. The famous scientist did not keep animals at home.